Saturday, March 11, 2006

Couch Surfing

So you go on vacation - the type of vacation where the main objective is to see a new place and do new things, not to be pampered at a resort - and the biggest expense after actually getting there is the hotel where you spend a very small amount of time. Doesn't it seem like there should be a better way?

I've thought this more than a couple of times, which is why I was excited to find The CouchSurfing Project. The idea is you contact someone with a spare couch or room or backyard space who lives in your vacation destination and you stay with them for a little while. Then you get home and you host someone else. It's a whole commie, love-makes-the-world-go-round kind of idea.

There's a whole range of CouchSurfing opportunities you can arrange through the site - from "Meet me for coffee or a drink in the town where you live" to "Let's switch apartments for awhile."

We (Jason, Puck and I) have signed up, and will most likely host before we are hosted somewhere else. We have a pretty good arrangement for this, since we have a spare room with a futon and a full guest bathroom. There's nothing like meeting new people in the comfort of your own home!

Let me know if you too decide to become a couch surfer so I can add you to our friends list!

2 comments:

DeniseUMLaw said...

What a cool idea! I never even hear that term before last week when it was offered to me by my summer employer as an alternative to renting an apartment in DC this summer.

I opted to rent the apartment anyway, but it sounds pretty cool. I bet you'll have a blast with it!

What do you do about security?

Shannon said...

Do you mean how do I stop visitors from stealing my stuff?

Well, I guess I start by not really having a lot of stuff worth stealing LOL! But seriously, I guess I just use common sense and a little bit of trust. I don't want to live with an assumption that all strangers want to rip me off. Maybe it's naive, but it's the way I'm (trying to) choose to live...

Plus - For example, with these first guests, I don't think these ladies are coming all the way from Germany to steal my TV! :-)