Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Home From The Holidays

Yes, we did get caught in all of that rain on the way home from California. It was a long, wet drive back to good old Oregon - I believe 17 hours door to door was the final drive time. Happily we're home now, with lots of big plans for 2006! One of these is getting out of our conventional car and into a hybrid, so the next time an eight hour trip turns into one that lasts for almost an entire day our impact will be a little bit less substantial.

It surprises me how negative some people are about hybrid cars. Two responses we got from family over the holidays were: "You'll end up spending more in the long run!" and "Good luck getting one. You'll be on a waiting list for years." I'm guessing both of these prophecies of hybrid doom turn out to be false. I'll keep you updated. For now I'm starting my research at HybridCars.com - a good choice, I think, considering their slogan is: "Great starting point for hybrid vehicle research"

Happy New Year!

2 comments:

Zuska said...

i am a member of zipcar, and as i recently posted on my blog, we just recently used one of their hybrid cars for the first time. it was FANTASTIC. I am so in love with it. If I ever buy a car again, it will 1) be a Hybrid, and 2) probably be a Prius.

My partner said that with us having 2 children and all, we should probably look into the Accord Hybrid (new last year) - so I did. and ptooey. it's just trying to be all fancy - it's not as truly concerned with lessened dependence on gasoline. Honda has some small space-ship looking car that does sort of come close to the Prius' numbers, but it's ugly as ... a torpedo.

We're going from Boston to NY in a couple of weeks, and we're taking the Prius. it was soooo cool and soooo fun.

Dagny said...

I think a hybrid sounds cool! Don't worry about the negative comments!