Thursday, November 02, 2006

Finally - First Thursday

Tonight's the night!

Last night the curator emailed me to let me know that if I wanted to I could write an "Artist's Statement" for the show. I couldn't come up with anything that didn't sound incredibly unoriginal or insanely pretentious so I think I'll just let the show ride on me saying things like, "I take pictures. I like taking pictures. Do you like my pictures?"

Last night I attended a Flickr meetup. (I would say something like, "Oh my god I'm such a nerd!" but I hate when people say that so I won't.) It was my first real life gathering of photographers - it was pretty neat seeing the range of equipment people would drag out in the rain to show off. Some awesome digital SLRs, some film gear I had no idea about, and even a pinhole camera made out of a paint can.

I've read about how there is this photography movement that is reacting to the increasing level of technology with each passing generation of digital cameras by becoming increasingly low-tech. Lots of pinhole cameras, holgas, lomos, etc. There were definitely people at the meetup last night that fit that bill.

I'm glad I went. I made some new camera friends, and a few even said they would try and make it to the opening tonight. I hope to see some bright and shiny blogger faces there as well! Come on - it'll be fun!

No comments: