Sunday, June 11, 2006

Carbon Neutral Challenge

Have you seen An Inconvenient Truth yet? No? Well, please go see it now. I'll wait.

... ... ...

Oh good, you're back! Wasn't that a fantastic, powerful film? Don't you hope that Al will run again in 2008? Me too! Okay, so here's what I want to talk about: Living a carbon neutral lifestyle.

Al posed the challenge to us, as Americans, to do the right thing and reduce our carbon emissions. I would love to be part of a movement that would make me proud to be an American, so I'm on board. Are you up for the Carbon Neutral Challenge?

Jason and I discussed ways to reduce our household's carbon emissions. Here are the commitments we made:
  • Take the Bus To Work/School

  • Reduce Car Use In General
    • Buses go just about everywhere we do. We can even bring the dog.
    • Walking is nice. Our grocery store is a lovely walk through a forested area away and backpacks filled with groceries make the trip back up the hill a good workout!

  • Home Heating & Cooling
    • This is probably my biggest problem. I'm all about the fans and the thermostat. We're going to do our best to use neither.

  • Home Lighting

  • Make More of an Effort to Buy Locally

  • Use Alternative Electricity Sources
    • My goal is to finish our solar generator by the end of the summer. I estimate that we'll be powering 20% of our household electric appliances with it initially and we'll expand to 100% as funds allow.
    • Until then we're also going to purchase electricity through PGE's Green Source program. 50% of our PGE electricity will then come from wind sources, 25% from geothermal and 25% from low-impact hydropower.
How are you trying to achieve carbon neutrality?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am trying to become carbon neutral
http://carbonneutral.2truth.com

share a shower, save hot water.

Beth said...

Thank you for sharing these tips. We should all try to follow them. By the way, you've been tagged. http://easyecoliving.blogspot.com/2007/07/eight-random-facts-meme.html