Friday, July 14, 2006

Tired

This week has been one of the greatest of my life.

River school is better than I even hoped. This first week of the program has been a combination of River Science and Management and Stream Ecology. I've learned a crazy amount every single day, which consist of 4 hours of lectures and 4 hours of in-field study. There are five main facilitators and lots of guest speakers with a mixture of professors and professionals from many different specialties and industries.

The program has ten students - 2 undergrads, 5 graduate students and 3 professionals. Not one has emerged as an egomaniac knowitall. Everyone is nice and smart and laid back and seem really interested in learning.

I've spent about twenty hours this week in rivers. I'm exhausted, and I'm thrilled. I can't imagine ever wanting to do anything else...

This post (rambling as it is) will be my last for a couple of weeks. Next week the program moves to the Oregon coast for two weeks. I'll be heading out Sunday morning and will return on the evening of the 28th - hopefully. This afternoon I got stuck in about 18 inches of mud. I pulled as hard as I could and got me unstuck but not my shoe. So I had to put the foot back in the hole, get the foot back in the shoe and pull even harder to free it and the foot at the same time. I was pretty freaking dirty at the end of it all.

2 comments:

Dagny said...

I lost a pair of shoes in the mud in the same way you described! Haha. Anyway, your school sounds much more fun then mine! :)

Dagny said...

Come on pal, we need an update about river school already.